Monday, September 20, 2010

Awkward Service Situations.

On Saturday night my brother and I headed out to a swanky steak house on I Drive to take full advantage of the Magical Dining Month. While the food was great, the rest of the evening left me a bit perplexed. So I think I'm going to start a new series....about awkward servers.

First off, while the ambiance in the restaurant was beautiful, we didn't get to see much of it. We were tucked away in what I called the "kiddie room"-a small space with about eight tables. We sat amongst casually dressed tourists and, yep, you guessed it, the families with children. Why were we seated there? Who knows. Maybe it's because I mentioned the Magical Dining on the Open Table reservation. Maybe it's because we were casually dressed. I felt like I was assigned to the kid's table at Thanksgiving dinner. You know the one I'm talking about. The fold out card table with the plastic tablecloth.

But the odd part really came into play with the server. After delivering our salads, he looked down at his fingers and finding something there, wiped them on the napkin that encased our bread basket. Hmm.

During the wine service, he looked down at his fancy vest and noticed a stain. So he literally brought it up to his nose to smell it. While he was holding our bottle of Atteca Garnacha. (Which, for the record, was fabulous!)

Lastly, my brother and I split the check. Which means that he had two separate credit cards with the same last name. When he returned to our table after running the cards, he asked, "Um are you guys married? Cause I'm kinda confused."

So I guess my point is that even if you are that swanky restaurant that is all about the glitz and glory, there can always be a green piece of meat that can ruin the whole experience. Yep, your food was good and your wine was good. But after that meal I just want to eat in a restaurant that lets me sit at the grown-up's table.

No comments: