Monday, November 23, 2009

TRP, RPG, The Pig or whatever you want to call it.


Most call it The Ravenous Pig.

It had been so long since I last visited TRP that I think I was beginning to forget how much it, well, rocks.

Having recently completed my online mixology "certification", I was pleasantly surprised at the drink offerings. I keep saying that Orlando needs it own version of a Speakeasy....going back to classic cocktails with fresh house-made mixers. If I was ten years younger and made of money, I would totally quit my job and do so. (And yes, I've told my bosses this.) But, this certainly isn't a fantasy world and to be honest, I've had my fair share of good luck recently. So better to not temp the fates. Regardless, I was quite happy to sip my Sidecar as I perused the wine list and menu. (And yes, it was house-made sour mix.)

We started, as usual, with an order of the house-made soft Pretzels served with whole grain mustard and a Taggelio-porter fondue. It was perfect, and one of my dining mates suggested utilizing the fondue as the base for a soup! Which sounds a lot better that my proclamation that I would want to bathe in it.

I ordered what I had been thinking about all day-the Steak Frites. The Porcini marinated Flat Iron Steak was cooked perfectly and was extremely flavorful! And the Truffle Fries with the Aioli were really out of this world.

With dinner we had a bottle of the Viettie Barbera D'Asti "Tre Vigni" 2006. For those of you not familiar with the Barbera grape, it is consistently one of my favorites from Piedmont with typically a nice subtle blend of dark fruits and earthiness. This one did not fail at impressing, and really was a great balance with the earthy flavors of the Steak Frites.

We got dessert to go and stopped at ABC for a fun dessert pairing. I don't remember all of the specifics on the dessert (it was an impulse buy) but I do know that it was a Chocolate Torte with raspberry and a citrus Chantilly Cream. We decided to be wild and got a bottle of Blandy's five year Madeira to go with dessert. The burnt sugar flavors of the Madeira really complimented the citrus of the Chantilly Cream and slight berry flavor in the Torte. We literally ate it standing up in the kitchen!

I've already decided to become more of a regular at TRP. Everything there is really all in it's place: ambiance, service, food and drink.

Note: The picture above is my half eaten Steak Frites. I took the rest home and had it as a wrap for lunch the next day (with the leftover caramelized onions from one of my dining partner's Pub Burger). It was one good sammie!



Ravenous Pig on Urbanspoon

No comments: