Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Luma, redux

A friend and I decided to be wild and crazy last weekend. So I got all dolled up, put on a dress, and headed to Luma for dinner.

Reading my last entry from Luma, I'm not surprised at all to have the same feelings about their food! Delicious, innovative and smart all come to mind. I had the Snake River Farms Flank Steak served with Farro, Fingerling Potatoes, pickled red onion and an onion ring. I did some quick research and found that Snake River Farms is home to the infamous American Wagyu Beef I referenced in my last entry. Long story short, they breed a hybrid of Japanese Wagyu and American Black Angus Beef.

My meal was fantastic. The flank was perfectly cooked and seasoned well. The earthiness of the Farro (an Italian grain) and potatoes were an excellent contrast to the mouth puckering pickled onion.

My dinner companion had the Maple Leaf Farms Duck with Forbidden Black Rice, Pineapple Marmalade and Passion Fruit Jus. Yet another quick search revealed that Maple Leaf Farms is located in Indiana and is known the "family owned company (that) dominates the North American duck market...". The meal was quite tasty and the sweetness of the marmalade and jus paired well with the tender duck.

For dessert we split a Chocolate Lava Cake served with Popcorn ice cream and homemade caramel popcorn. I'll admit we got it for the ice cream and I only wish there had been more on the plate!

We also had some great wines. I really appreciate the organization and creativity in the wine list. My favorite was a Melon de Bourgogne (ironically from Oregon) that surprised me with it's forward simplicity yet complex ending.

I love the fact that Luma has been consistently putting out great product for quite some time and I hope that they continue with their success.

http://www.lumaonpark.com/

Luma on Park on Urbanspoon

I think I'm going to head to the Food and Wine Festival downtown this weekend. I skipped it last year, but haven't been to a fest for awhile so I think it's time!

www.orlandofoodandwinefest.com

No comments: