Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Really Good Black Bean Soup


There's nothing like taking a vegetarian classic and adding bacon to it.

The Plan
Prep and saute Bacon.
Prep and saute Veggies.
Add Stock and Beans.
Simmer.

The Ingredients
3 slices Bacon, chopped
1 Onion, chopped
2 medium cloves Garlic, minced
2 tsp dried Oregano
1 Tbsp Chili Powder
1 Tbsp Salt
2 tsp black Pepper
2 cups Chicken Stock
2 cans Black Beans, rinsed
1 Tbsp hot sauce

Saute chopped Bacon until crispy in a large pot on medium high heat. Remove Bacon and reserve.

Place Onion to the pot and saute until translucent. Add Garlic and cook until fragrant. Season the mixture with Oregano, Chili Powder, Salt and Pepper. Cook for another minute.

Add Chicken Stock, stirring well. Incorporate the Black Beans. At this point I know some are cringing at the idea of using canned beans. If you feel inclined, go the extra mile and soak some beans over night. I usually want my Black Bean soup "right now!". So it's hard for me to plan ahead.

Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes. Add hot sauce (Krystal is my preferred!) and more Salt and Pepper to taste, if needed.

The Presentation
The usual suspects: Sour Cream, Onion, Cheddar Cheese. I used Green Onion because I had some. Oh! And don't forget to top with the crispy reserved Bacon. Unless you ate it while the soup was simmering. Not that I did or anything.

No comments: