Wednesday, January 2, 2008

It's supposed to bring good luck and wealth in the New Year

So as the New Year rolls in, I realized that I’ve been a bit, well, negligent about this whole blog thing. Turns out December was extremely hectic, which is good because in my life hectic equates to money, so I guess I can’t complain too much.

I won’t bore you with the details, or with a list of resolutions (the usual culprits-be more organized, eat more veggies, etc.) but I hope to be a bit more diligent with interesting things for you to read. That being said, I’m starting the new year with overload at work which means I’ll be pretty incognito for the next few weeks, but again no complaints (see above).

I kicked off 2008 with a long walk along the river in Ft. Myers and a traditional Pennsylvania Dutch/German feast with my hero (Grandmother), my hilarious aunt, the extremely witty cousin and some of my Grandmother’s friends. It was actually my first time being introduced to Pork and Sauerkraut and I took Bob’s warning of never ever eating this meal with a hangover quite seriously! Here’s what we did:

Pork Loin and Sauerkraut with Dumplings




I trimmed, seasoned and seared the tenderloins while my aunt seasoned the sauerkraut with brown sugar. I then finished the pork in the oven, on top of the kraut. When the pork was done I dolloped the dumpling mixture (Hooray for Bisquick…premeasured dry ingredients at their best!) on top of the kraut and finished cooking in the oven. I also made a sauce for the pork, an Apricot Brandy reduction with some booze my Grandma found in her cabinet that was probably purchased sometime in the twentieth century. It was quite tasty.

The meal was fantastic; I went back for seconds of the kraut and dumpling mixture. Hopefully it will bring the good luck and wealth that it symbolizes!

Here's a pix of the yummy Summer Salad with Coconut Shrimp from Amy's Overeasy Cafe on Sanibel Island. (Isn't that the best name for a restaurant ever?)



I hope you all had a great holiday! Thanks for reading and the constant support!








Me and my hero on the walk to the infamous Bowman's Beach.


2 comments:

Amy said...

how come not on a hangover? I thought pickled stuff helps... at least a pickle helps (I've seen and tried it! Miraculous results!)

dbhoopes said...

That pork and kraut new year advice is a sham! I'm still poor as I was befo'.