Sunday, July 22, 2007

Blueberries!


Not too much of an exciting culinary weekend. (Unless you count the spinach chicken salad I had at the ghetto Bennigan’s that was actually pretty good.) Today, however, I was again very pleased in the produce section of my local grocer. Yep, another week of the blueberry season! I know, I’m supposed to be watching my sugar intake, yada yada, but I cannot help myself! Last week I ate an entire pint in one day (and who can complain at $1.50 each)! I look at it as if I am getting a year’s worth of antioxidants in a very short summer season.

I prefer them fresh, straight out of the carton, but here is a recipe for a savory chutney that I have been using for a couple of years. It was adapted from a Weight Watchers recipe, and can be paired with either roasted chicken breasts (marinated in Italian seasoning) or a seared white fish.

Blueberry Chutney
2 cups Blueberries
1/3 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 Onion, minced
¼ cup Raisins, Currants or Craisins
3 Tbsp Champagne Vinegar
1 ½ tsp Fresh Ginger, minced
¼ tsp Salt
¼ tsp Cinnamon
1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp Garlic, minced
Dash of Ground Allspice

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Tips:
*Craisins give the Chutney a bit of a refreshing tartness.
*Don’t use fresh ginger that often? Peel it like you would a potato and use a sharp knife to mince, it can often be a very tough root. You can also buy a ginger paste in the produce section. It’s actually quite tasty and lasts for months in your fridge.

2 comments:

sara said...

mmmmmmm... that sounds fabulous. i'm going to try it w/ brie & grainy crackers.

love the site! keep 'em coming!

Annette said...

Yay! I love this sauce! I've also put it over sweet potatoes. Delish! Thanks for posting the recipe Kate!