Monday, June 14, 2010

Summer Farro Salad



I know what you're thinking. I'm quickly becoming a one-stop farro shop. But I recently came into a good supply of the grain. And what am I supposed to do? Let it sit in my cabinet and look pretty?

The Ingredients
1 cup Farro, rinsed
2 cups Water
2 Tbsp Olive Oil,
1/2 Onion, chopped
1 clove Garlic, minced
4 ears Corn, cooked any way you chose*
3 medium Zucchini, small chopped
1/2 cup Parmesan Cheese, shredded or shaved
Salt and Pepper to taste

The Plan
Cook Farro.
Prep Veggies.
Cook Veggies.

The Method
Bring Water to a boil in a large pot. Add rinsed Farro and simmer until done. About 20 minutes.

Add Olive Oil to a large saute pan. Add Onions and cook until tender. Throw in the Garlic and cook until fragrant. About two minutes. (*At this point, I added my corn kernals. I cut them off their ears while raw and decided to saute them. It smells a-mazing. If you decide to boil or roast your corn, no biggie. Or if you're super cool, then grill the corn. That rocks. Regardless, if you've already cooked your corn, just toss it in at the end of the recipe. Phew.)

At this point, you need to cook the Zuchinni. So throw it in the pan with the Onions and Garlic. Add some Salt and Pepper for flavor at this point. When the Zuchinni is done (aka soft), take the pan off the heat.

Mix together the cooked Farro, all the Veggies and the Parmesan Cheese. Taste. Add more Salt and Pepper if needed. Eat.

PS I made this Sunday night for my lunches all week. I ate it as a cold salad today, and I have to admit I really enjoyed it cold as much as I did warm.

PPS If you haven't realized it yet, Corn and Zuchinni are fresh and cheap during the summer months.

No comments: