Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Toasted Coconut Farro Pudding


That's right. Farro Pudding. Proof that I can lead a life with plenty o' healthy grains. Even in my dessert.

I made this dish for an Oscar party. The challenge: one guest who is not eating refined sugar or any starches. Oh, she also doesn't eat any nutrasweet products. While we're on the subject, she doesn't eat onions either. But I digress. This dessert was delicious and I will make it again. Often.

The Plan
Cook Farro.
Toast Coconut.
Toast Pecans.

The Ingredients
1 Cup Farro, soaked in water for 4 hours
1 can Coconut Milk (I used light. Just because.)
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 pinch Salt
1 cup Coconut, toasted
Dried Cherries, for garnish (optional)
Pecans, toasted and chopped, for garnish (optional)

The Method
Preheat oven to 350F.
Combine Farro and Coconut Milk in a medium sauce pot. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until liquid is absorbed. Cool mixture. Easy money.

Place Coconut on a sheet pan and roast until just starting to get golden brown. Don't forget about it in the oven and burn it ike I did. I'll admit it. My name is Kate and I am a Facebook addict.

Do the same with the Pecans. Chop them when they have cooled.

Combine Farro, Vanilla, Salt and half of the toasted Coconut.

The Presentation
I served the pudding cold. But feel free to be wild and crazy and serve your warm. Top with remaining Coconut and optional Cherry and Pecan garnishes. Or use other garnishes of your choice. One warning: serve small portions. This yumminess is extremely filling!





No comments: